Serves two. Time: prep 20 min; cook 10-15 min
- 1 lb of salmon cut into 2 portions, deboned, rinsed with cold water and dried as thoroughly as possible (without damaging the salmon) using paper towels. Room temp prior to cooking.
- Salt and pepper
- Avocado oil, 2 tbsp for searing
- Lemon slices (for cooking and serving)
- 1/4 cup finely chopped parsley
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 cups romaine lettuce, washed, dried and chopped into 1 inch pieces
- 4 small beets (either roasted or canned), cut into quarters
- 2 tbsp finely sliced onion (red, white or yellow)
- 2 tbsp walnuts, crushed
- 1.5-2 tbsp goat cheese
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp shallot, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp spicy brown or dijon mustard
- 1 tsp sugar (or to taste)
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Whisk all ingredients in a measuring cup with spout to facilitate pouring.
- Prepare salad as follows: put lettuce, beets, onion and walnuts in bowl and toss with dressing to evenly coat everything. Put into fridge.
- Heat oven to 325 degrees.
- Score salmon skin 4-5 times.
- Season generously with salt especially (more on the thicker part and less on the thinner part), also pepper to taste.
- Add avocado oil to pan and heat up medium-high to high. Oil should not be smoking or fish will stick and you might just ruin your pan- just shimmering dramatically.
- Place salmon carefully into pan to sear using tongs. 60-90 seconds. Make sure its not sticking and be careful of oil splatter as you check level of sear with a spatula.
- Take off heat and gently (to avoid sticking and ruining sear) flip salmon skin side down. Squeeze salmon with lemon and place into preheated oven for 4-6 minutes, level of doneness has a lot to do with personal preference and thickness of filets.
- Remove from oven and allow to rest.
- Remove from fridge and stir salad.
- Put on plates and put dollops of goat cheese on salads.
- Squeeze with lemon, place on plate next to salad.
- Cover salmon with chimichurri and serve.