To put it simply, best soup ever!!!
Serves 3-4 Time 2-3 hrs
- 3 onions (1 white, 2 yellow or any combo) sliced thinly
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1 1/2 tbsp cream sherry
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 1/2 tbsp flour
- 3 garlic clove, minced
- 6 cups beef broth
- 3-4 sprigs of fresh thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- French bread, sliced
- Smoked Gruyère cheese, enough shredded to cover bread
- Slice 3 onions using a mandolin or a knife.
- Melt butter in Dutch oven and toss with onions over medium heat.
- Allow onions to caramelize, takes about 45 min to 1 hour. They will develop a sweeter taste as they brown. Sugars are released to provide a complex, rich, savory base characteristic for this classic soup.
- Heat broth, thyme, bay leaves, garlic and some pepper while onions caramelize in separate pot.
- Add salt and pepper to onions to taste during the caramelization process.
- Remove sprigs of thyme after they have simmered in the broth for awhile and allow to cool, strip thyme leaves from stems to add to broth
- Deglaze caramelized onions with sherry and white wine.
- Thicken onions with flour for a minute or so, stirring frequently.
- Add heated broth and stir. If reducing too rapidly, turn burner to low.
- Can taste and add salt/pepper according to taste.
- Turn on broiler.
- Ladle soup into oven safe bowls and broil with slice of French baguette generously covered in shredded Gruyère cheese.
- Watch closely until golden brown and bubbly.