My mom made this for me on Thanksgiving back when I was a vegetarian and it continues to be one of my favorites to this day. This simple, hearty dish is not only healthy as all get out, but extremely delicious as well. All in all, it’s a win, win!
Serves 3-4. Time: Prep 15 min, Cook 50 min
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- 1-2 tbsp minced shallot
- 1-2 cloves minced garlic
- 1 scallion, chopped
- 1 egg, beaten or 1/4 cup egg white
- 2 cups spinach
- 3/4 cup shredded white cheddar, more for top before baking
- 1/4 cup parmesan, more for top before baking
- salt and pepper, to taste
- chopped parsley after baking
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Prepare a baking dish with olive oil spray.
- In a large bowl, mix cooked rice, shallot, garlic, scallion, egg, spinach and cheeses, then season with salt and pepper.
- Spoon mixture into baking dish, top with layer of shredded cheeses and cover with aluminum foil.
- Bake 20 minutes, then remove foil.
- Bake another 25-30 minutes until cheeses are bubbly.
- Sprinkle with chopped parsley and its ready!